Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I am a runner

I just feel like I need to take a day to write about the tragedy at the Boston Marathon.

I am a runner.

I feel tremendous heartbreak for all the people hurt, killed, and affected by the explosions.  Who in their right mind does something like that?  To deliberately cause harm to someone else is completely beyond me. But  I also feel a special ache for all the runners on the course.  I feel like these are my people.

I am a runner.

I can only dream of one day running the Boston Marathon.  The hours, dedication, and hard work that goes into simply being able to be eligible for the marathon completely amazes me.  I would love to have the speed and endurance that comes with qualifying for the marathon, but I don't and I have total respect for anyone who does.

I am a runner.

Several years ago I read an article in a running magazine that asked various runners- "what makes you a runner?" and this question has always plagued me.  Sure, I run.  I run races, I run in my free time, I run in the rain, and I run pregnant but what makes me a runn-er?  I always felt there was a big difference in runn-ing and being a runn-er and I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was.  I'm not fast, I'm not super educated on running, I'm not athletic but I do it and I enjoy it.  And after Monday I get it.

I am a runner.

Those are my people and I've been on both sides of the barricades.  I run, it's what I do.  And I do it for me because I love it!  I never thought I would say that, but it's true.  My heart truly, deeply goes out to everyone who was in Boston- the spectators, the support crew, the medical personnel (I've seen how many people it takes to pull off an event).  And especially all the people at mile 13, 20, 23... who didn't get to finish their race because of someone else's evil desires.  Terrible, terrible, terrible.  I keep reading and seeing stories of all the hurt or killed and it breaks my heart. 

I am a runner.

So this morning Peppa and I joined the Run for Boston movement.  Find them on Facebook here.  I wish I had hours and hours to run for all the people affected in Boston, but I don't.  And I can't solve everyone's problems on my own.  I did have half an hour to join with my fellow runners & non runners to put in 3 extra miles for everyone I can't physically help.  It was a run filled with prayers & peace.

I am a runner.

I support Boston.  This will not stop ME!


No comments:

Post a Comment